Staff Accountant & Operations Associate
At Global Citizen Year, we work with a keen sense of urgency in pursuit of our mission. To keep our financial systems on track, we need a resourceful and experienced Staff Accountant & Operations Associate with zealous attention to detail and ability to juggle multiple complex systems and tasks simultaneously. Reporting to the Vice President of Operations, Strategy & Talent, the individual will be at the heart of our team’s business operations and a direct contributor to the progress of Global Citizen Year’s mission and growth.
This position offers the unique opportunity to gain exposure to the inner-workings of running an early stage global start-up. The Staff Accountant & Operations Associate’s key responsibilities will include the following, with a focus on accounting (75%) and operations/administration (25%):
Accounting & General Ledger
- Performs monthly pre-reconciliations and closing of books, including accurate and prompt entry of all revenue and expense items into accounting software, with a focus on country-specific program expense reports (external CPA firm finalizes reconciliation of bank accounts monthly)
- Tracks balance sheet accounts including, fixed assets, depreciation, and temporarily restricted net assets to ensure proper use of restricted funds and application of GAAP
- Prepares financial reports including monthly balance sheet, BvAs, and cash flow reports for departmental review and summarizes analysis of key variances as well as assists in preparing quarterly financial information for board meetings
- Supports annual budgeting process, including ensuring that the annual budget is accurately reflected in the accounting software
- Processes philanthropic and earned income payments in accounting software for timely deposits, and reconciles revenue with Business Development team
- Invoices customers (fellows & parents) on a monthly basis (tuition payments, i.e. earned income / fee for service) and reconciles payment tracking system with accounting software records
- Monitors tuition collections, makes collection calls and responds to account-related questions from families, escalating cases as needed to the Vice President of Operations
- Manages the timely and accurate entry of all properly coded and authorized vendor transactions into accounting software
- Processes invoices for payment, including international wire transfers to program partners and country-specific bank accounts, printing and promptly mailing checks to US-based vendors, and reimbursement of employee expense reports
HR, Payroll & Benefits Administration
- Processes payroll using Intuit Online Payroll including payment of state and federal organizational and payroll taxes, and IRA plans
- Maintains personnel files, including appropriate state and federal withholding forms
- At calendar year-end, sends W-2s and works with external CPA firm to compile/distribute 1099’s
- Maintains key banking relationships and acts as first-line contact between organization’s international field staff and bank account managers in the US, including troubleshooting ad hoc banking issues for Field Staff
- Assists in the implementation of fiscal best practices in preparation for the organization’s first annual audit (FYE June 30, 2013)
- Organizes electronic and paper file systems
- Maintains the organization’s registrations and filings with state and federal entities
- Collaborates with external tax firm to prepare Form 990 annually
- Coordinate organizational insurance renewals
- Oversees upkeep of main Oakland office (current team of 9), including procurement of office supplies and equipment and liaising with building management and other relevant vendors
- Serves as receptionist, answering general phone calls, greeting visitors, and handling mail
- Coordinates weekly all-team meetings and social events, including the purchase of weekly team breakfasts
- Serves as administrator for Google Apps, Box, and general tech-related equipment, including liaising with IT consultants on any computer, internet, and other technology issues
We are seeking a dedicated professional excited by the opportunities for career growth within the accounting and operations department of an early-stage global organization and working with our external accounting consultants as we prepare for our first audit. The ideal candidate will have:
- An Associates or Bachelors degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent training.
- At least 2 years accounting work experience, preferably in a nonprofit.
- Strong proficiency in QuickBooks software (preferably Online) and Excel.
Successful candidates will also possess the following qualities:
- Mission-driven: Demonstrated commitment to the mission and vision of Global Citizen Year.
- Results-orientation: Process and outcome-oriented with exemplary organizational skills. Proactively stays on top of multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced environment while prioritizing competing demands. Takes initiative to identify and involve stakeholders in a timely and appropriate manner, especially to provide progress updates and manage workload.
- Detail-orientation: A perfectionist with a keen eye for even the smallest detail!
- Quick learner: Comfortable with IT systems, curious, with demonstrated experience learning quickly and handling increasing levels of responsibility. Able to work independently and solve problems proactively.
- Effective communicator with strong interpersonal skills: Active listener and strong communicator who presents information (written and verbal) with clarity and professionalism to both internal and external stakeholders. Is courteous and calm under pressure. Possesses sound judgment and communication skills to interact with a variety of people and job functions globally.
Compensation: Competitive salary (commensurate with experience) and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Oakland, CA.
Start date: December 1st or as soon as possible.
In your cover letter, please indicate how you learned of the opening and provide 3 references and the date you would be available to begin full-time employment.
To apply click here.
For a PDF of the job description, click here.
Deadline: Applications received by November 30 will receive preferential review. The review will continue until the position is filled.
Global Citizen Year is an equal opportunity employer, and we strive for our staff to reflect the diverse community we serve. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.